Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lessons learned

Yesterday I had some trouble at work. That's not unfamiliar to me. I have a few issues and sometimes things don't go we'll when I have to deal with colleagues. Strangers are so much easier. I have no problem bowling up to someone I have never met and chatting with them, or talking to someone in a queue or at a shop while we are waiting. Colleagues are not so easy. You can't just walk away, I know, I've tried. 

After work last night I received an email from a colleague that was quite inappropriate. I get my work emails on my phone, and often deal with them after hours. He had no right to say what he did and I got quite upset. I took it to my manger and it is being sorted out at the highest level.
In the mean time I have decided to look round the job market and see if anything takes my fancy. 

I have a job, I have nothing to lose. And everything to gain. 

Being upset because I have been made to feel inadequate when I know I am actually doing a great job was a final straw. I am fighting back. I will have control of my own workload Come hell or high water. There are other jobs out there and a fresh start could be very refreshing. My cv is going to get another spruce up. 

I started a splash board of post it notes on my whiteboard at work. One note for each role I have, each thing I do. It is a reminder that I do good work that makes a difference. They are placed randomly and over an A5 sized space so far. There will be a lot more to add to the board before I am finished. 

There are lessons to be learned every day. The one I learned today was to have faith. I am not alone. I have support and I don't have to run or hide when someone stomps on me. People love me. 

That was a nice thing to take out of a very yucky experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment