Monday, August 19, 2013

The caffeine dairy

Five cups today went cold before I was able to finish them. Such a waste, but also indicative of just how busy I was at work.

I didn't take any proper breaks. I sat down to eat lunch but then right back into it.
The phone has gone constantly today with people asking questions after the earthquakes last Friday. As soon as the landline would ring another caller would ring and the call would transfer though to the cell phone. It was quite a challenge to strike a professional balance between being friendly and supportive and being distracted by the other call and the interruptions of being frontline in a busy office. I missed a few calls, but thankfully there were lots of people that left me messages.

The big basement clean up was underway today. It was a bit (actually it was a lot) overwhelming starting work at 8 when they had been at it for an hour and wanted questions answered about what I wanted done with this, that and the other thing... Back the bus up folks, I was barely awake!

Eventually I caught up, got some work done and convinced myself to help out with the cleanup, as soon as I cleared a few things off my desk.

It never happened. I was flat out like the proverbial lizard right up to 5pm. Although none the planned work was done, I did reassure a lot of people, answer a bunch of difficult questions around emergency preparedness, tsunami, and what to do in an earthquake, buy lunch for the workers,  and make but not drink five cups of coffee. In there somewhere I emptied the stationery onto the floor and reloaded the cabinet when they got swapped over. I now have a stationery cupboard to die for, in my office.

And around 4.30 I finally drank a whole cup of coffee while a customer and I chatted about her preparedness. I got sneaky and offered her a cuppa so I could finally get to drink mine and look after her.

Hey, you do what you have to to get a coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment