Friday, September 13, 2013

moving on

One of my colleagues left the organisation today. It was the hardest farewell I've ever been to. I will miss him a lot.

Usually I don't mind when people move on, it's just life, and to be honest some of them stay too long and I cant wait to see the back of them. I don't like a fuss when I leave anywhere. I remember all of the times I was leaving though. I do like to make sure other people are suitably farewelled and this is the 5th person to leave in under a year. The next leaves in two weeks, making 3 in 5 weeks.. it is harrowing.

This one was particularly difficult because he is the nicest person I know. Not perfect of course, but so giving and open.

He gave THE BEST speech. Thanked people for their friendships, their involvement in projects he has worked on and their help and inspiration in the past 7 years. He had people from several organisations there, all professional relationships that have developed into strong friendships.
He left us with the thought that family and friends matter, and to work to be happy and be better people.

I kept it together until one young man stood up to talk about him.
He was grateful for the mentorship and friendship he had received...I didn't hear the rest because it moved me so much and I left the room.

I will be sure to see him again as he is not that far removed from us in his new role.

In the future I hope there will be other people that in my life that are as nice as he is. And that I recognise them for that when I meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment